Improvisational Theater/Comedy Entertainment and Hobbies Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Jan 11, 2006 at 02:16 PM

Anybody want to learn Improv? Hoping to find people close by who would like to get together once a week and learn Improv. Even if you don't live close by and you are interested in finding out more about Improv drop me a note. I have some great reference material and maybe even contact names of people in your area who could help you out. If you like "Who's Line is it Anyway?", and want to be able to be as quick-witted as them then this may be for you. Besides, it's cheaper than therapy, lol.
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 3Comments

• View author's info Posted on Jan 17, 2006 at 10:43 PM

Thanks tx!!
    *hugs*
    These sound like a great start for now & I'm sure will prove to be very helpful resources to pass along to the kiddo.
    =D
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 17, 2006 at 07:19 AM

Samantha451 write:
    Hi tx!
    I love Whose Line Is It Anyway.

Myself, I've not done any improv. since high school drama classes.

For the past 3 years at school my 17 yr. old son has been doing improv. with a group formed solely for such (not affiliated with the Drama Department, thus a non-credited endevour, nor even extra-curricular recognition -more's the shame!)
    and has become quite skillful at it, if I do say so myself.
    Unsanctioned, the group receives very little in the form of instruction, resources, mentorship.
    Exploring community resources, he's found very little.
    I cannot even take him to most local performances, as most venues are 21 & over.

Any suggestions??

Hi Sam,

Yes I can relate to your son's plight. And a shame that his schools drama dept isn't doing anything to encourage him and his friends in their exploration of Improvisational Theater.

One place you may want to try on the web is yesand. They have a very extensive resource section including downloadable material. It also has a section for locating Improv troupes in your area.

Right now I am in talks with the local High Schools for forming a High School Improv League. Hurricane Rita hit my area so those talks have been put on hold but look promising.

Some reading material that I have found to be very helpful - "The Truth in Comedy and anything written by Viola Spolin. If there is anything else you have questions or thoughts on please feel free to ask me.
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 15, 2006 at 06:38 PM

Hi tx!
    I love Whose Line Is It Anyway.

Myself, I've not done any improv. since high school drama classes.

For the past 3 years at school my 17 yr. old son has been doing improv. with a group formed solely for such (not affiliated with the Drama Department, thus a non-credited endevour, nor even extra-curricular recognition -more's the shame!)
    and has become quite skillful at it, if I do say so myself.
    Unsanctioned, the group receives very little in the form of instruction, resources, mentorship.
    Exploring community resources, he's found very little.
    I cannot even take him to most local performances, as most venues are 21 & over.

Any suggestions??
Follow - email me when people comment