why some people lie about their income? why they lie about income Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Jul 22, 2005 at 10:42 AM

I think it's because most people are ashamed of what they have and afraid of taking the steps to improve their lives. Some people think that money is what makes them attractive. They forget about respect and love and they rather want to sound flashy than be confident and honest about who they are and how much money they make. If a man or woman wants a high income, instead of lying about it, it's better to work hard to earn it such as going to school and get a higher degree which leads to a better job. That's simple. Thanks.
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 103Comments

• View author's info Posted on Mar 18, 2016 at 05:11 AM

Quoting sard101:

I think it's because most people are ashamed of what they have and afraid of taking the steps to improve their lives. Some people think that money is what makes them attractive. They forget about respect and love and they rather want to sound flashy than be confident and honest about who they are and how much money they make. If a man or woman wants a high income, instead of lying about it, it's better to work hard to earn it such as going to school and get a higher degree which leads to a better job. That's simple. Thanks.

Personally, I find such questioning, especially during the initial stages of courtship, to be rather intrusive. What I make annually is private and those who feel the need to know what I make annually may be someone who has alterior motives or is simply looking for someone to subsidize their financial situation which may be fine for some, but isn't fine with me. 

Now, is it plausible that some people may embellish or lie about their income? Sure! But, people "selectively" edit a lot of things because truth be told, if they were brutally honest about every lil thing that is asked, then perhaps the person doing the asking may place judgment upon the person being asked which may end up disqualifying said person from any romantic encounters. 

What at have learned during my online dating tenure is that some people want people to tell on themselves so that the person who is fishing for deal breakers doesn't have to invest the time and effort in finding out whatever they deemed to be a deal breaker. 

In all, income may be an important factor when seeking companionship, but there is a time and place to divulge such information.

#2cents

• View author's info Posted on Nov 01, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Nobdy wants a potential mate to think they are broke or can't handle their responsibilities or support a mate.   I mean,  what reasonable person comes on here looking for someone to support??  Maybe someone who wants to assume control of another person's life?  Im sure that happens.   I respect people who come out say they're currently unemployed or can't work for whatever reason.   It helps cut through the BS.   Me personally,   if I was out of work or not making enough money to handle my business while dating, I wouldn't be online looking for a mate.  I'd be online looking for a job.   But the truth is some people get lonely and there is always someone out there willing to lend support until you can get on your feet.   Plus some guys can't stand the thought of a woman making more money than them.  

• View author's info Posted on Aug 14, 2011 at 04:08 PM

what it boils down to I think is that 99% of women are nothing but "golddiggers" and an average guy thinks that the only way he could ever have a chance with a so called "10" is to lie about what he has, does'nt make much sense to me though, I mean the little money grubber should figure it out as soon as he pulls through the drive through at McDonalds to get dinner for them.....

• View author's info Posted on Mar 15, 2010 at 08:18 PM

Quoting andy903:

Why are people judged period? Height, weight, nationality, money etc. Sure we all have attractions to certain things but don't put the blinders on.

People are too busy looking for what they think that perfect person is, to take the time to get to know anyone. Just try sending a message to someone that you don't match up with. They take one look and tear you apart with language I thought was reserved for people you hate not people that thought you were cute and took a chance to try and find out about who you are. Sorry for the venting.

Maybe we can't find what we are looking for because we are too quick to judge.

Straight to the point. It's a mindset. Just like saying this.

Point_Dexter: Hello my name is such and such I am person who has values.

Girl: Ignores, see's A person with swagger. Point dexter gets left in the dust.

PD: Meets someone of another race dates

Personfrom other race don't like or have a problem with it.

Grow up people its not your call to judge others.
  • View author's info Posted on Sep 28, 2008 at 02:27 PM

Interesting post!
    I'm not sure why someone would lie about their income. Time usually reveals the truth.
    As a single woman, I choose to post mine, which usually eliminates men with a less income from contacting me. There are too many men out there that cannot deal with being in a relationship with a woman with a higher income. At first, some say that they don't mind, and that they want a financially secure woman, but the truth comes out eventually. I'm not saying that ALL men are this way, but a lot are. I appreciate all of the honest people, who post true info, but as someone else posted, this arena for dating allows people to lie about everything.
    The bottom line is, it's not what you make, it's what you make of it that counts.
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 28, 2008 at 04:21 PM

Why are people judged period? Height, weight, nationality, money etc. Sure we all have attractions to certain things but don't put the blinders on.

People are too busy looking for what they think that perfect person is, to take the time to get to know anyone. Just try sending a message to someone that you don't match up with. They take one look and tear you apart with language I thought was reserved for people you hate not people that thought you were cute and took a chance to try and find out about who you are. Sorry for the venting.

Maybe we can't find what we are looking for because we are too quick to judge.
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 08, 2008 at 08:17 PM

Devotee08 write:
    I feel that a more apropo question is "why do some people reveal their specific income" to strangers... especially via this type of public forum? One doesn't meet a stranger and immediately say "I want you to know that my annual income is $___"! I can't imagine that income revelation is upfront info given by cautious, sophisticated persons in this forum. Many of you will very much disagree with me, (which is good because different thinking is how we learn and grow) and continue to debate "why" some people lie about their income. My answer... because their wits are dim, in the first place so it's not a Nike size leap to LIE about income amount!
    YOUR TURN!

This is not the place to tell your income. It makes no sense!
    Re:
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 05, 2008 at 12:06 AM

I agree, somewhat, with Errnangel.

Money does become an issue within relationships if lifestyle expectations are not fulfilled.

Another reason to not lie about income.

Although if she immediately asks my salary I'd immediately ask her to leave.
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 04, 2008 at 11:59 PM

What it boils down to is one's sense of self or "ego".
    If I am not true enough to myself to stand by my own original beliefs, then I will look to others for validation.
    Money is seen as a universal validation. It creates, for a person, an external ego in the opinions of others.
    Money is to be neither cursed nor loved; simply used.
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 25, 2007 at 02:03 PM

Don't be naive and intentionally stupid.

People lie about their income because they know that the lion's share of the people they are looking to attract are vapid, superficial and will decide primarily based on how much money someone makes.

They know it that they want someone like this and will attempt to create an illusion in the hopes of getting this person.

All of these theories you all have come up with in this thread are pretty pathetic and lead me to believe that most of you are the kinds of people I'm talking about here. Thus you feel the need to create sophisticated psychological rationalizations for this pathetically shallow mindset.

95% of people on personal sites think this way. And don't go thinking you're in the 5% cuz there is a 95% chance you're not, lol.

However, superficial people are also the reason personals sites are profitable. These people are so deluded with plastic visions of Hollywood like romance with all the typical trappings that comes with, that they rarely find anyone or anything of substance. That keeps them, and the few looking for something substantive and not based on money or some weird white beauty standard, stuck in a holding pattern. Forever on these sites, never finding fulfillment and padding the bottom line of "match" sites, the net over.

I'm not hating on the proprietors here. They are providing a service and for the most part I'm glad they do. I just long for the day when the size of bank accounts and European beauty standards aren't the drivers for most romantic transactions.

That day could not possibly come too soon.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 16, 2007 at 11:58 PM

I feel that a more apropo question is "why do some people reveal their specific income" to strangers... especially via this type of public forum? One doesn't meet a stranger and immediately say "I want you to know that my annual income is $___"! I can't imagine that income revelation is upfront info given by cautious, sophisticated persons in this forum. Many of you will very much disagree with me, (which is good because different thinking is how we learn and grow) and continue to debate "why" some people lie about their income. My answer... because their wits are dim, in the first place so it's not a Nike size leap to LIE about income amount!
    YOUR TURN!
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 01, 2007 at 07:52 PM

Topic: why some people lie about their income?

Because it makes them feel more comfortable.

Many in this world are truly lost and easily influenced by society.

No one truly values money, they value comfort.

Forgive them for it and give them the opportunity to be truthful about their life.

-Ben
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 01, 2007 at 12:11 AM

People lie about everything, its the human nature. What seems quite path ethic to me is the very ones who criticize those 'poor souls', does not have an honest mirror at home...

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Aug 30, 2007 at 10:17 PM

I have found that most men are intimidated by how much I make. For some reason things change to "Oh, you make a LOT of money!" LOL!

They don't realize that I'm also supporting two sons (I'm single again) have a mortgage and all that goes with everyday responsibilities.

I'm not trying to be a "Sugar Mama" to anyone but my sons until they are old enough and able to support themselves.

Money is always going to be an issue. One man I was involved with I paid more in taxes than he made in one year. It can be an issue when you want to go away for a weekend and hear "Well Baby, I just can't afford it" and his pride will/won't let you pay for it. I don't mind a man paying his own way, but let's be real, if he can't, he can't.

And to keep it real, sorry, you cannot establish something serious and long term with me if you are working making $15K a year. I don't think anyone would.

I know those Gold Digging women. Most of them are my friends and believe it or not, there are men who love that they are and spoil them rotten! At least they went into with their eyes wide open!

Money shouldn't be an issue when you are first meeting, dating. That's when you should be getting to know each other. And down the road, if you both feel that what you have is developing into something more serious, then money should be brought up, especially if you're going to live together/get married/have children.

Just my fifty cents. Inflation you know!
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 15, 2007 at 05:46 PM

it seems people do not only lie about their income, but also about their age, their looks, their status and a few other incidentals, like their height and weight. For example "a few extra lbs" usually turns out to be close to obese, 5'11 looks more like 5'8, and the pic is from 1991, if we are lucky. Dating sites are a Smorgasbord of blind dates, folks! The pics are somebody's cousin or friend, and the rest is Fantasy. People lie, because they think that they can get away with it for a while, until they actually end up meeting. I walked right past the guy, because he was 15 years older than what he claimed to be and 5 inches shorter. His e-mails were really nice, his actual personality sucked majorly. Ah well, it was one of those unforgettable dates, I would not want to ever have again. And he was a Teacher!! Aaarrrggghhh. The Berlinerin

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Jul 28, 2007 at 08:30 PM

you are right in that people have a "zone" in which they feel ok in, but that leads to this point, if that's how you judge who you date don't get mad or upset when you don't find a good guy or girl because you stayed in your zone, this is not to say you shouldn't have standards but money shouldn't be one of them, everybody always says they are looking for a honest and good person if so what does income have to do with it, if i can take care of my self without your help, and i must have been doing that or i would be homeless or unemployed or in a shelter then if you make more or less than me,it should not be an issue, what should be important is his/her charactor, what type of person are you, not what you make, and i have been taking care of myself and others for the last 20yrs so i can say this
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 13, 2007 at 05:03 AM

cablasianguy write:
    Re:

Riddle me this, Sard...if a man told you up front that he was 43 years old and flipped burgers at McDonalds for $15,000 a year, would you date him for reasons other than to get a hook up on your food orders?

Re:

Sard has left the building.............43 workin at McDonalds?...............Sure, better than on the system............but my next question would be, "Ya rentin the basement from mom??"............it's more than the money............what else ya got?
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 12, 2007 at 06:45 PM

sard101 write:
    ...They forget about respect and love and they rather want to sound flashy than be confident and honest about who they are and how much money they make...
    Re:

Riddle me this, Sard...if a man told you up front that he was 43 years old and flipped burgers at McDonalds for $15,000 a year, would you date him for reasons other than to get a hook up on your food orders?
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 12, 2007 at 03:20 PM

From another perspective, sometimes money can intimidate people. I try not to answer questions about income until I have had the chance to get to know someone better first. For example, two months ago, a friend of mine went on a second date with a woman in Massachusetts. This woman was so proud of her accomplishments considering she had climbed out of debt to become a restaurant manager. For some reason felt compelled to tell my friend how much she made. Subsequently, she asked him about his earnings. When he replied with the truth, she sort of "shut down" (he makes 3 times her salary). Consequently, as a general rule he responds to income questions be deflating his salary.
Follow - email me when people comment