Why are Not Native American welcome here? Cultures and Education Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Mar 19, 2006 at 12:20 AM

I have a question why are not Native Americans welcome here of all places a interracial site if any one can fill me in please do.
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 11Comments

• View author's info Posted on Jan 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM

You must be from a part of South America where it is acceptable for Native Americans to be interested in and good at Math and the Sciences, then.. My father was a Cost Accountant so it's in my blood, so to speak. I've got Math teaching credentials and to this day can't understand it or stand it when kids ask me "why" they have to learn this. I don't know how to answer that because I never asked that of my father or of any of my teachers! These days kids are just being difficult and obnoxious; what they're really saying is that they don't think they "have to" learn it from ME. From a Native American WOMAN. They just won't admit that part.
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 02, 2011 at 09:03 AM

You don't see us because you don't want to see us. People look right AT me and say they've never seen a Native American. Even if they've been down south or out west. You see me, think "black" or "Puerto Rican" and then decide you've never seen a Choctaw Indian. That's why. It's your own damn perception. You only THINK you've never seen a Native American because you haven't seen Pocahantas' identical twin born 500 years later, that's why. You expect a certain physical appearance when you look for the "Native American" appearance and when you don't see it, you think you haven't seen ANY of us. Completely forgetting that there are hundreds of different versions of the "Native American" appearance and we don't all look alike across two continents.

You just haven't seen the stereotypical image of Pocahantas standing right in front of you and that's why you think you don't see Native Americans. I happen to look just like HALF of the Mississippi Choctaw tribe but people treat me like "black" all the time and hence, can say they've never seen a Native American.

That's why.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 18, 2006 at 12:06 PM

native americans why do they think they are indians!!!
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 23, 2006 at 11:26 AM

cyupanqui

I bet there is alot of women out there, that would want to date you. And sexy long black hair to boot. Well just my thoughts. Thanks for replying here.
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 23, 2006 at 11:11 AM

phea44 Sure I will hang around and play in the sandbox. I post on the forums all the time. I like scratching around in the sandbox. Never know what one might dig up. And make new friends in the process.
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 21, 2006 at 11:10 PM

You wonder what may have been said to me. Well I am not saying, and the person or persons they know what they said, and it really does not matter to me I was just wondering why it seems that I have had some problems here. And I sure dont see many NAs on this site. Just an observation, I have had so many racial slurs thrown at me during my life time, I dont care any more what is said to me I am used to it, but I do what the Native Americans to feel welcome here on this site. Because it is a Multi racial site. I will be around the forums here and the message board when I feel I have something to say.
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 21, 2006 at 11:05 AM

raindancer write:
    Thank you zachary0611 you are the first person to say so. And I appreciate it. The fact is I dont feel us NAs are welcome here. And I sure dont see to many on this site, I have not seen one yet.

Welcome to the forum raindancer, and I really enjoy reading your posts. Hang around with us and play in our sand box. LOL
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 21, 2006 at 01:43 AM

Well, I'm the token Aymara (haha) on this site. The only and unique South American Native American Mathematician with a penchant for Classical Music and Linguistics.

Which more of less means I'm walking through life without a romantic partner, because, I mean, let's be honest: how many women go out there saying: "I want to date an Aymara man!"
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 20, 2006 at 11:23 PM

Thank you zachary0611 you are the first person to say so. And I appreciate it. The fact is I dont feel us NAs are welcome here. And I sure dont see to many on this site, I have not seen one yet.
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 20, 2006 at 04:25 AM

zachary0611 write:
    everybodys welcome here!

Raindancer, I have to agree with Zach.
    *good to see you 'round posting again Z* =)
    This is a public forum and, as such, EVERYONE is welcome here.

I have to wonder what anyone might have said or done to make you feel that any culture isn't welcome?
    Knowing the specifics might help those replying to your question better address it.

Then again, I also have a feeling that after hearing of any specific event, the likely reply from most of us would be "Ignore that person... They are a fool."
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 19, 2006 at 12:27 PM

everybodys welcome here!
Follow - email me when people comment