Biracial Girl Cheerios Commercial Backlash//Black Men Speak! Cultures and Education Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Jul 21, 2013 at 03:53 PM

Hello Fellow Mixers!
    As most of you know by now, there has been a huge backlast on the new Cheerios commercial due to the fact that a mixed child and her mixed BW parents were portrayed as a family/couple. What most refer to as "The American Dream." The racist comments consisted of: that's gross...makes me want to vomit, that's ridiculous to portray or entertain the thought of a black man actually staying committed to his family. There were a host of other comments that I'm not going to mention because it isn't worth giving them recognition.
    I, for one, have a grown mixed son and he is very family oriented and not to mention that he bleeds the same color I do. I cannot believe that in the year 2013 we are still living in the Antebellum South/North/East/West. Let us not judge by the color of our skin, but the content of our character. Dr. King is rolling in his grave.
    I see this as a direct attack not only on mixed races, but especially a direct backlash to the African American male, just one more hurdle to jump. I want to know what your thoughts are about the comments. How does it make you feel when you are being attacked for being "deadbeat" dads? What do you say to someone who claims that it literally makes them "sick" to see a black and white couple together...not to mention raising a child together? Does this motivate you to rise above or does it make your blood boil?
    All comments welcome!
    Fantasia5

Members Only

Follow - email me when people comment
  • 8Comments

• View author's info Posted on Mar 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM

90-DAY FIANCE- CASTING NEW COUPLES!

Have you found your one true love abroad? Was the man or woman of your dreams simply overseas? If you and your foreign fiancé are looking to walk down the aisle in America, we want to be there! TLC is currently seeking couples to feature on our docu-series 90 Day Fiancé that follows the day-to-day efforts of couples planning to enter the U.S. on a K-1 Visa. Any age, ethnicity, and gender may apply. If interested in sharing your unique journey, please email us at

• View author's info Posted on Feb 06, 2014 at 05:32 PM

Quoting fantasia5:

Hello Fellow Mixers!
    As most of you know by now, there has been a huge backlast on the new Cheerios commercial due to the fact that a mixed child and her mixed BW parents were portrayed as a family/couple. What most refer to as "The American Dream." The racist comments consisted of: that's gross...makes me want to vomit, that's ridiculous to portray or entertain the thought of a black man actually staying committed to his family. There were a host of other comments that I'm not going to mention because it isn't worth giving them recognition.
    I, for one, have a grown mixed son and he is very family oriented and not to mention that he bleeds the same color I do. I cannot believe that in the year 2013 we are still living in the Antebellum South/North/East/West. Let us not judge by the color of our skin, but the content of our character. Dr. King is rolling in his grave.
    I see this as a direct attack not only on mixed races, but especially a direct backlash to the African American male, just one more hurdle to jump. I want to know what your thoughts are about the comments. How does it make you feel when you are being attacked for being "deadbeat" dads? What do you say to someone who claims that it literally makes them "sick" to see a black and white couple together...not to mention raising a child together? Does this motivate you to rise above or does it make your blood boil?
    All comments welcome!
    Fantasia5

Honestly, I had mixed reactions when I read some of the backlash comments. I mean, let's be real about this. We do have a serious problem with children growning up without fathers in the Black community. Around 70 % of Black children are born out of wedlock. This is a serious problem within the Black community that we have to acknowledge, so that we can deal with it accordingly. We cannot pretend this problem doesn't exist, or try to sweep it under the rug. A lot of Black men have grown up without fathers in their lives, so now as adults, they themselves don't know how to be fathers. This is a destructive cycle that we need to address, and figure out how to slow it down(we won't be able to stop it completely).

But on the otherhand, not all Black men are deadbeat dads. And some Black men are exellent fathers, but often times they don't get much recognition. There are plenty of Black men who want to be in a family, and stay committed to their family, and will not abandon them either. But I agree with you, yes, it does make me want to rise up and be a better man and father and prove all of the doubters wrong.

And we also have to be honest and acknowledge that everyone will not accept interracial couples. And we can't force them to accept it. If people have a problem with interracial couples and feel that it is "gross", then oh well, that's their problem. We canot live for others, we have to live for ourselves, and try to do what make ourselves happy.

By the way, I would love to have a beautiful mixed race daughter like the one in the Cheerios ad. So if there's a nice, wholesome, single Caucasian woman on here looking for a single, straight Black man for a meaningful relationship and a family, then get in touch with me! Hahaha!!!    :-D

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Feb 06, 2014 at 05:27 PM

Quoting Spiritual_Being:

Hi Fantasia5.. You know if anything I believe backlash such as what has taken place with the Cheerios add, shows the insecurities of the white male. It's logical though. I mean white men (not all) feel threatened by (not all) Black men and that threat feeling increases when you factor in that, if that Black man impregnates the White woman, then there are less and less "white" people being produced. Plus they have subconscious fears about the size of a Black man's (well, you know), which is really an admittance to their own insecurity about their own inadequacy. And they don't want to have to compare of measure up. It's not just a sexual thing though and it's not just about interracial couples. We don't see this backlash with Modern Family having a white man married to a Latina, nor the show about the President having an affair with Kerri Washington. Matter of fact there have been lots of TV commercials shows and movies that feature a white man having his way with a woman of color (either willingly or unwillingly) with little to no backlash from the white community. So I would say it's even less of a decreasing population issue, because even if a white man has a child with a woman of color, the child is not white. So what's it really boil down to? They hate to see us with their daughters, sisters, moms, nieces, cousins or women they wish they could be with. And secretly many white men, especially elitist know, who The Black Man really is, and they don't want anybody else to find out (not even the blk man) because they, the white men, are enjoying the temporary position of being at the top of society... but ha!... look at the sick and wicked society they are at the top of. By the way, you have a beautiful smile and foxy eyes. Peace  Ha ha.. the Cheerios commercial just came on! no joke

Spiritual_Being, I have to say that I respectfully disagree with your premise here. I have been out with White women around Black people on several occasions, and have received a lot of dirty looks. The racist looks and comments go both ways. And couldn't someone say that Black women(not all) feel threatened by White women? I often hear a lot of Black women say that they are "tired of White women snatching up all of the good Black men." I'm sure that there can be backlash found about the Modern Family's interracial marriage, as well as the President having an affair with a Black woman, if one looked hard enough for it.

You say that there have been "lots of TV commercials, shows, and movies that feature a White man having his way with a woman of color." Can you name a few of these shows? You said that there have been "lots" of them, so it should be easy for you to name some of them. The only one that I can think of is Monster's Ball starring Halle Berry, and I do recall a lot of backlash about that movie.

And I don't think that all White men don't want to "see us with their daughters, sisters, moms, nieces, or cousins." Not all White men feel this way. Truth be told, I actually think Black people are some of the most racist people in the entire world. I hear a lot of Blacks on a regular basis(especially on the radio) making a lot of racist comments, but they get away with it, and no one ever calls them out on it, because they are Black. Listen to Ricky Smiley's morning show, or Tom Jouyner's morning show, or Steve Harvey's morning show sometime, if you don't believe me.

But I have a small exercise, that I would like for you to do for me, Spiritual_Being. Next time you're out on a date with a White woman, take her to a place where you'll be around a lot of Blacks(especially Black women), and then look around, and notice the type of reception that you will receive.

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Feb 06, 2014 at 05:19 PM

Quoting savallj:

It's a sad state of affairs, isn't it? But, it just shows the depths of racial prejudice in our society...Black men are having it particularly rough at this time because of our current leader in the Oval Office...Yes, this is true, think about it...I have never seen so much hatred directed towards a president and I have had to just seriously break it apart and understand that this is due to FEAR...Black men are still demonized in this culture, even though there have also been significant strides made within the past century...I am sorry to say that it's going to take a while longer...We need to continue to see Black men in positions of authority as well as domestic...I like Samuel Jackson, Dwayne Jonson, etc. as much as anyone, but we also need to see Black men as competent fathers,  romantic (not SEXUAL--that has already been MORE THAN COVERED!) lovers, spiritual warriors, etc...It will come, it will come...Women like you are necessary in this achievement, stay positive!

Tell me something, Savallj. How do you know if a person is disagreeing with our president because they dislike his policies, or if they dislike his race? How can you tell the difference between the two? And please provide me with an example of some of this hatred that you've seen directed towards our president.

I would also like for you to explain to me how Black men are being "demonized in this culture." Because the way that I see it, we are doing this demonization to ourselves. It is the Black men who are glamourizing drug dealings, and guns, and dropping out of schools, and not getting decent jobs, and letting our pants sag, and playing the "knockout game." It is Black men who are making rap videos and songs that degrade our own women. We are doing these things to ourselves, no one else is doing these things to us.

The Black man has already arrived, as we have a Black president, for goodness sake. We can't keep on making excuses for the bad behavior that many Black men choose to engage in. We will have more Black men in positions of authority, only if they seek out these positions of authority on their own. We need more Black men like Dr. Ben Carson, and Thomas Sowell, just to name a few. We can't just have Black men who only want to idolize rappers and athletes.

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Feb 06, 2014 at 05:00 PM

Quoting ready4rlluv:

I was pleasantly suprised as I had a fear that I would hear negative comments about the ad, but I have heard so many people pick that and the one with the puppies as the two favorites, I'm talking dozens and dozens of people.  So that at least temporarily restored a little of my faith in humanity. 

I recognize that is just a tiny slice and in a few days that could be deflated again, but for today I'm going to celebrate those that were able to enjoy that adorable ad for just what it was.  :) 

As much as some of us may really like interracial dating, we still have to remember that there are some people in this world that still aren't okay with it, even in 2014. And truthfully, I don't believe that all of them are necessarily bad people, just because they aren't okay with interracial dating. Some of these people may just have some old school views, I think, and just would rather see people date, marry, and procreate within their own races.

I'm not trying to make any excuses for these people, I'm just trying to offer a perspective on how they might look at things. But I don't live for other people anyway. If I want to date and marry outside of my race, then that's exactly what I will do. I absolutely love "swirling." And I just have to say that I love that Cheerios ad too, and I think that they are a beautiful interracial family.

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Feb 05, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I was pleasantly suprised as I had a fear that I would hear negative comments about the ad, but I have heard so many people pick that and the one with the puppies as the two favorites, I'm talking dozens and dozens of people.  So that at least temporarily restored a little of my faith in humanity. 

I recognize that is just a tiny slice and in a few days that could be deflated again, but for today I'm going to celebrate those that were able to enjoy that adorable ad for just what it was.  :) 

• View author's info Posted on Sep 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

It's a sad state of affairs, isn't it? But, it just shows the depths of racial prejudice in our society...Black men are having it particularly rough at this time because of our current leader in the Oval Office...Yes, this is true, think about it...I have never seen so much hatred directed towards a president and I have had to just seriously break it apart and understand that this is due to FEAR...Black men are still demonized in this culture, even though there have also been significant strides made within the past century...I am sorry to say that it's going to take a while longer...We need to continue to see Black men in positions of authority as well as domestic...I like Samuel Jackson, Dwayne Jonson, etc. as much as anyone, but we also need to see Black men as competent fathers,  romantic (not SEXUAL--that has already been MORE THAN COVERED!) lovers, spiritual warriors, etc...It will come, it will come...Women like you are necessary in this achievement, stay positive!

• View author's info Posted on Aug 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Hi Fantasia5.. You know if anything I believe backlash such as what has taken place with the Cheerios add, shows the insecurities of the white male. It's logical though. I mean white men (not all) feel threatened by (not all) Black men and that threat feeling increases when you factor in that, if that Black man impregnates the White woman, then there are less and less "white" people being produced. Plus they have subconscious fears about the size of a Black man's (well, you know), which is really an admittance to their own insecurity about their own inadequacy. And they don't want to have to compare of measure up. It's not just a sexual thing though and it's not just about interracial couples. We don't see this backlash with Modern Family having a white man married to a Latina, nor the show about the President having an affair with Kerri Washington. Matter of fact there have been lots of TV commercials shows and movies that feature a white man having his way with a woman of color (either willingly or unwillingly) with little to no backlash from the white community. So I would say it's even less of a decreasing population issue, because even if a white man has a child with a woman of color, the child is not white. So what's it really boil down to? They hate to see us with their daughters, sisters, moms, nieces, cousins or women they wish they could be with. And secretly many white men, especially elitist know, who The Black Man really is, and they don't want anybody else to find out (not even the blk man) because they, the white men, are enjoying the temporary position of being at the top of society... but ha!... look at the sick and wicked society they are at the top of. By the way, you have a beautiful smile and foxy eyes. Peace  Ha ha.. the Cheerios commercial just came on! no joke

Follow - email me when people comment