the incredible shrinking race... Cultures and Education Forward to friends

• View author's info Posted on Nov 27, 2011 at 09:47 PM

I'm confused about that in that is
  • 20Comments

• View author's info Posted on Aug 30, 2011 at 01:58 PM

Quoting cyupanqui:

Consider this: in about 35 years the USA will be majority Hispanic. Yet whites will still hold most economic and political power. What do you think will happen?

a) There will be a slow transfer from the white minority to the Hispanic majority; or

b) "White" will be redefined to include the lighter-skinned Hispanics, so that whites remain a majority.

The fact that both possibilities can be considered shows you how iffy the concept of "race" is. The line can be moved when needed (as already happened with the Irish and Italians once Blacks and Hispanics started dominating the population growth trends).

In most places "white" is already being redefined to include lighter-skinned Hispanics, get with the times. "White" already means everyone light-skinned. I'm an Indian and even though I PUT that on everything, in person I get lumped in with "black" all the time. The definition is what people think you LOOK like not what you actually ARE.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 18, 2007 at 06:11 AM

the important thing is to remember that GOD judges a person for what is within in their minds and hearts and souls and not by their outside appearance...........BRIAN
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 17, 2007 at 07:55 PM

I
    m so confuse with the race thing my dad is very dark and i never knew that he is half black,my mom said that his dad is east indian to make things easier for us because we are not sure, he
    s very light with grayish eyes his other kids look more like him but all their eye colours are different.so i think black dominated in my dad
    s gene and whatever race his father is his siblings with the same father carry the gene more.My mom
    s story is similar too. This multiracial thing is like this in the islands,they both call themselves black ONLY and if i mention about the other races in me my mom thinks ?
    m obsess to be other races,So i guess i
    m not supposs to call myself mix.I
    m doing biology too,i had a 1/4 chance to end up with hazel eyes on my mom
    s side and 1/4 chance to end up with gray eyes on my dad
    s side,both parents have brown eyes and me also.

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Aug 20, 2006 at 04:05 AM

Consider this: in about 35 years the USA will be majority Hispanic. Yet whites will still hold most economic and political power. What do you think will happen?

a) There will be a slow transfer from the white minority to the Hispanic majority; or

b) "White" will be redefined to include the lighter-skinned Hispanics, so that whites remain a majority.

The fact that both possibilities can be considered shows you how iffy the concept of "race" is. The line can be moved when needed (as already happened with the Irish and Italians once Blacks and Hispanics started dominating the population growth trends).
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 20, 2006 at 03:39 AM

For example, eye color depends on one gene.

The gene can have multiple alleles but for simplicity we will say it is just 2 and call them them B for brown and b for blue

You have blue eyes from both sides so your genes are bb

Someone with Brown eyes from both sides has genes BB

Your children can have genes in any combination

bb - blue
    bB - brown
    Bb - brown
    BB - brown

brown is dominant, coming out in 3/4 of the ccases.
    ---

You're assuming three things that are incorrect:

1) Dominance applies to human phenotypical characteristics which define race (false: most of these characteristics manifest partial dominance because they refer to a certain step in a biochemical pathway, which can be circunvented by less effective steps).

2) Such characteristics are defined by one gene (false: all of them, eye colour, skin colour, epicanthic fold, hair texture, hair colour, etc. are defined by multiple genes, each regulating one of the steps in the pathway to the needed proteins).

3) Mixing people from a certain race A with another race B will produce mostly children similar to the dominant race (false: race, even though it has a biological and biochemical basis, is not a discrete concept: mixing Black and white will produce all sorts of in-betweens, and which ones among those can claim white status or black status depends entirely on the social conventions in their society; in fact, most modern humans have at least some degree of 'racial' mixing).
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 19, 2006 at 12:42 AM

edited
    beanpie write:
    NOT "RACIST" JUST "TRUTHFUL"...

WHAT CAUCASIANS ARE SAYING...

BE MORE SPECIFIC......!!!! THE STATEMENT 'WHAT CAUCASIANS ARE SAYING...' is inherently RACIST considering who is quoting and in particular being preceeded by the 'qualification'........ the phrase 'NOT "RACIST" JUST "TRUTHFUL"...' is a known form of admission in psychotherapy with the denial or negative part being the crux or the focal point.......
    WHAT/WHICH CAUCASIANS IN PARTICULAR....??? BE SPECIFIC...!!! YOU ARE NASAL PASSAGE DEEP IN A GLARING GENERALIZATION........

care for another shot of relaxer...???

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Aug 18, 2006 at 08:38 PM

beanpie write:
    "The fact that phenotypical characteristics that define "race" are controlled by single genes. "

Please, show me where I have stated this and, made it my "thesis".

Thesis
    per Merriam Webster item 4 : a dissertation embodying results of original research and especially substantiating a specific view; especially : one written by a candidate for an academic degree
    and just in case, dissertation:an extended usually written treatment of a subject; specifically : one submitted for a doctorate

apparently and witlessly the bloggotry author has constructed one judging by the quantity(putting aside quality) on this site.
    y'aint no dr. and the point is not even academic........

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Aug 16, 2006 at 02:39 PM

The fact that phenotypical characteristics that define "race" are controlled by single genes.

Your whole thesis rests on that.

It's not true.
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 14, 2006 at 09:20 PM

I think you need to learn some genetics before posting nonsense, Beanpie, said with all due respect.

Eye colour is controlled by at least three genes (two in chromosome 15 and one in chromosome 19). The belief in one single gene was proven wrong over 30 years ago.

We believe there is a fourth gene controlling eye color, and probably even a fifth.

Skin color is controlled by six genes, but more are possible.

Sadly, in this your data is seriously outdated.
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 13, 2006 at 05:13 AM

beanpie write:
    BEANPIE sir, let us assume just for the moment that the BLACK gene is more DOMINANT, and you have a BLACK man that is living a life that is displeasing to GOD, and there is a WHITE man whoes life is pleasing to GOD, and so GOD accepts the WHITE man ,and rejects the BLACK man, so how does the BLACK mans so called superior genetic makeup benefit him in the LONG run h m m ? GOD has made out of one blood all races to dwell upon the earth and no race is more SUPERIOR than another in his sight ...BRIAN
    "...so how does the BLACK mans so called superior genetic makeup benefit him..."
    IT DOES NOT.
    "...GOD has made out of one blood all races to dwell upon the earth and no race is more SUPERIOR than another in his sight..."
    I NEVER STATED, ONE RACE IS "SUPERIOR".
    ..... on that we can agree beanpie i,e the black mans genetic makeup ,does NOT benefit him in the long run,and the same goes for all the other races !
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 04, 2006 at 04:39 AM

kashmirkat write:

Very good and very basic answer! Oh where oh where did Beanpie go???? lol
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kash ! he might hear you , are you missing beanpie kash ?
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 01, 2006 at 09:45 AM

brian66 write:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>mr BEANPIE sir, let us assume just for the moment that the BLACK gene is more DOMINANT, and you have a BLACK man that is living a life that is displeasing to GOD, and there is a WHITE man whoes life is pleasing to GOD, and so GOD accepts the WHITE man ,and rejects the BLACK man, so how does the BLACK mans so called superior genetic makeup benefit him in the LONG run h m m ? GOD has made out of one blood all races to dwell upon the earth and no race is more SUPERIOR than another in his sight ...BRIAN

Very good and very basic answer! Oh where oh where did Beanpie go???? lol
  • View author's info Posted on May 09, 2006 at 12:08 PM

beanpie write:

>>>>>>>>>>>>mr BEANPIE sir, let us assume just for the moment that the BLACK gene is more DOMINANT, and you have a BLACK man that is living a life that is displeasing to GOD, and there is a WHITE man whoes life is pleasing to GOD, and so GOD accepts the WHITE man ,and rejects the BLACK man, so how does the BLACK mans so called superior genetic makeup benefit him in the LONG run h m m ? GOD has made out of one blood all races to dwell upon the earth and no race is more SUPERIOR than another in his sight ...BRIAN
  • View author's info Posted on May 09, 2006 at 06:22 AM

beanpie write:

Hmmm, in your little "thought experiment", Black people would disappear as well. It's due to the same arithmetics. On a global scale, most scientists expect the differences between the races to disappear in the coming 2,000 or 5,000 years anyway, as a result of global traffic.
    But fortunately, biology is not that easy. There are some very fundamental reasons why people are different. In the case of the white skin, for example, this is a very healthy adaptation for life in a high-latitude environment. So even if you mix the races thoroughly (an impossible task anyway), there will always be selection towards dark skin in equatorial areas and white skin in areas with dark winters.
    Beanpie, it is always an honour for me to prove you wrong...:-)
    IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO "DESTROY" THE BLACK FOR, GENETICALLY, IT IS DOMINANT.
    [/quote_messag beanpie please tell us why then the supposed dominance of the blacks genes are not able to stop the future wordly dominance by the white american (bush/blair alliance and russian and chinese races being far more doninant in the future than the black races. who is it that does not know that china is the rising super power, and they are not black.
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 19, 2006 at 12:26 PM

i think you need to accept your white side
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 18, 2006 at 11:17 PM

Why it is that Native Americans is a forgotten race we are here mixed race or full blood so where do you think we fit in your equation. And I am quite sure the Native Americans will be here on our land for a long, long time.
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 07, 2005 at 03:43 PM

cyupanqui write:
    That'd be if whites stuck to the one-drop rule. But if it were reversed, and having one drop of 'white' blood were enough to make a person white, then if all white people in a single generation mated with someone from a different 'race', they in fact would be more than doubling up their numbers in one generation (considering a birth rate higher than the equilibrium number).

It's all in the sociological definition.

Now, if races were defined based on something more precise (certain biochemical markers), then the possible distributions are almost infinite. Biochemical markers are, as a rule, neither entirely recessive nor entirely dominant.

And most are controlled by several genes.

This is an interesting thought!
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 01, 2005 at 02:51 PM

beanpie write:
    If every Caucasian, in the world, decided to mate w/people of color, "exclusively", in a single generation there would be no Caucasians. ZILCH, NONE, ZERO.

Are you saying this because this will make you happy? And how could this be, if you say that whites came from blacks?

I like mixed people of all kinds. They are very attractive in appearance. Don't you think? Not always, but sometimes, you can find the best features of both races in one package.

This makes me appreciate people, who won't date out of their race. Otherwise, we would lose some variety.

Let's say your fairy-tale dream came true. That might mean a lot more hard-core personalities. You think?

Isn't personalities more important than race?
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 01, 2005 at 06:47 AM

beanpie write:
    If every Caucasian, in the world, decided to mate w/people of color, "exclusively", in a single generation there would be no Caucasians. ZILCH, NONE, ZERO.

Evolution.
Follow - email me when people comment