Today Im ashamed of being white in America Cultures and Education Forward to friends

• View author's info Posted on Oct 08, 2005 at 02:57 AM

I have a hunch Blacks are going to get their reparations over the legal promise of the 40 acres, $50 and the mule about the same time Natives get their property rights ratified for lands they never sold and whose titles the tribes still hold.

Which may be never.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 07, 2005 at 06:55 AM

The African quest for freedom has taken many paths. The first response was to resist the Europeans who invaded Africa. This resistance took place along the African shores, in the dungeons, on the ships and plantations.

The second response was relocation or Pan-Africanism. The desire to return back to Africa burned in the hearts of Joseph Cinque, Paul Cuffe, Martin Delaney, Marcus Garvey, and the Republic of New Africa. The third response was emancipation and the removal of the physical chains. This was achieved because southern families grew weary of their safety with the likes of Nat Turner, Denmark Vasey, and the other 263 insurrections. The North also wanted Africans to work in their factories versus the southern plantations.

The following response to freedom was civil rights. The opportunity to vote and to enjoy all public accommodations entitled to U.S. citizens. The problem with the political arena is that the same group that gave civil rights has the same ability to renege. Over a hundred years ago in the 1880s after electing Representatives and Senators in record numbers, southern and northern Whites worked out a deal called reconstruction and many of these political rights were rescinded. As a result, African Americans never received their 40 acres, a mule, and $50.

A century later the government passed the Civil Rights Act, affirmative action legislation, and a near representative number of Congresspersons were elected. The power structure wants to roll back this process. The second reconstruction has been well orchestrated with the American manufacturing base being ended by the global economy. This has led to downsizing which stimulates rehashing age-worn arguments of racial inferiority, e.g. The Bell Curve which fuels the recent debate on abolishing affirmative action. These oil can, smooth power brokers have the audacity to use Martin Luther King's speech, which sought being judged by the content of his character rather than the color of his skin.

I am not surprised by White males who only comprise 33 percent of the U.S. population, but constitute 80 percent of the U.S. Congress, 90 percent of the U.S. Senate, 100 percent of all U.S. Presidents, 80 percent of professors and doctors, and 92 percent of Forbes magazine's richest 400 individuals being concerned with downsizing. We have cities with a greater than 50 percent African American population, who can't secure legislation assuring them 20 percent of governmental contracts. After the Croson vs. Richmond decision, African Americans comprised 70 percent of the population and were receiving 38 percent of the contracts. Today though, they receive less than one percent of governmental contracts.

The above does not surprise me because it is not about affirmative action, it has always been about power, greed, and the maintenance of White male supremacy. In my hometown of Chicago before Harold Washington was elected Chicago's first Black Mayor, the city had a $3 billion budget, 34 wards comprised of people of color and 16 White wards. For some strange reason, the 16 White wards received $2 billion of the $3 billion budget. In the spirit of Maat (balance) Harold Washington promised he would not shift the power from White to Black but that each ward would receive 1/50 of the $3 billion budget. The White community and its power brokers were furious and did everything they could to stymie Harold Washington's efforts. Naive African Americans couldn't understand why they were frustrating Harold's efforts. Then like now, many of us don't understand power, greed and White supremacy. Many of us either have never read or forgotten Frederick Douglass' quote that "power concedes nothing without a struggle."

The White male supremacist's argument is that innocent victims shouldn't have to suffer for past wrong-doings of their ancestors. Question? Who should suffer? Who should provide the remedy? Has the perpetrator ever admitted that an injustice was committed?

The argument is can't we all just get along and operate like everyone is playing on a level playing field. I would be in favor of abolishing affirmative action under the following conditions:

1) Reparations are paid for African's free labor between 1619 and 1865.

2)That the state or federal government make up the difference in local school per pupil expenditures. Currently, in the same state some children receive $15,000, while others receive less than $5,000.

3) That teachers be fired when they lower expectations based on race, income, or gender.

4) That a full investigation be conducted to explain how White males with high school diplomas earn more than everyone else with college degrees.

5) That all forms of racial discrimination be eliminated specifically in the banking, real estate and insurance industries.

6) That colleges no longer allow the alumni a certain percentage of admission for their children regardless of their academic background.

7) That we remove the mandatory sentence for the possession of crack cocaine and the pat on the wrist if it's "powdered" cocaine. What is the chemical difference? Could the reason be African Americans are more in possession of crack cocaine?

8) That we place a moratorium on African American males being placed in special education since they presently are nine percent of the students, but are 32 percent of the special education students, and only six percent G.P.

9) That we abolish tracking in schools where children are unfairly divided into groups e.g. advanced placement, honors, regular, and basics.

10) That a full investigation be made to determine how one percent of the U.S. population can own 48 percent of the wealth.

In closing, this one percent that makes up the Trilateral Commission 300, Forbes 400, and the Fortune 500, continues to use the "race card" as a wedge to keep the 23 million poor Whites separate from the 12 million poor African Americans and Latinos. Poor Whites didn't lose their jobs because of affirmative action, they lost their jobs because the one percent transferred their factories to Mexico and paid workers $2.38 and some moved to Asia and paid them 75 cents an hour. Financially, White women who were also viewed as a minority by White men will also suffer with the demise of affirmative action.

I'm glad that I understand power, greed, and White supremacy because none of this surprises me. African Americans must now move to the economic frontier. We must finally realize we made a mistake in Montgomery, Alabama in 1955. Whites did not want us back because they had a change of heart; they were going broke. We must reinvent the bus companies, stores, and other businesses and quit expecting people that are driven by power to ever treat us in the spirit of Maat.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 07, 2005 at 04:36 AM

jdavis123 write:
    PICNIC - Does NOT come from this. There is absolutely no basis in truth for this. It is an urban legend.
    Picnic originated from the French pique-nique. Meaning picking or pecking (piquer) at trifles (nique). It has 16th century origins.
    :::::::::::::::::::: well said J.D.......BRIAN
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 07, 2005 at 12:28 AM

Minorities have ways to go in the USA, true. But the situation in many other countries is 100X worse. Take Brazil, for example. Or Bolivia.

At least in the USA and Canada I'm not regarded as a beast of burden. I am seen, for the most past, as a human being.

It is, believe me, an improvement.

And JDavis, I see etymology is your forte. Good for you. :)
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 07, 2005 at 12:12 AM

PICNIC - Does NOT come from this. There is absolutely no basis in truth for this. It is an urban legend.

Picnic originated from the French pique-nique. Meaning picking or pecking (piquer) at trifles (nique). It has 16th century origins.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 06, 2005 at 04:33 PM

Sentoryu279 write:
    Where do you think the term PICNIC came from....

Pick a N...

Human beings are Crule...and Heartless sometimes.. But I am not ashmed to be Human, Nor am I ashamed to be American...
    Despite what others may think or what they feel about America and American's This is Still the most wonderful country on this planet.

We are a YOUNG nation and as was mentioned there are tons of civilizations that had many bad things happen in thier history as well...

Thing to Note is that we are Learning and things are Always getting better Everyday....

Never be ashamed of who you are.
    God created White people just like he created the rest of us... God loves us all despite our skin color

I'd love to add a comment here but I can't because I think you all hit the nail on the head.... thank you.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 06, 2005 at 11:12 AM

SENTORYU says he has FAITH,OH really exactly what do you have faith in ? do you have faith in the TRUTH of JESUS,S words that the days ahead of us will be like the days of NOAH! ....REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENRD THEN! ? if you DONT then you are NO PART OF JESUS !..and if you DO then how can you say things are getting BETTER ? you seem to me to be REALLY mixed up HOWEVER ! if we can agree that things will only get better when JESUS returns and not by any efforts of men or nations ,thereby giving the GLORY to GOD and not to men. then maybee we can aggree H m m ?... ! ! BRIAN ! !
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 06, 2005 at 10:50 AM

The Beginning of the End! When you watch the evening news and see Black folk being portrayed as savages, think about this.

The following is a letter written by Willie Lynch on how to control slaves. Tell me what you think.

HOW TO KEEP A BLACK MAN DOWN

In the words of Willie Lynch in 1712, there are many ways in which you can keep control of your "slaves". His wisdom of 288 years has not changed. It's time to wake up Black America!

GENTLEMAN:

I greet you here on the bank of the James River in the year of our Lord, one thousand seven hundred and twelve. First I shall thank you, the Gentlemen of the Colony of Virginia, for bringing me here. I am here to help you solve some of your problems with slaves. Your invitation reached me on my modest plantation in the West Indies where I have experimented with some of the newest and still the oldest methods for control of slaves. Ancient Rome would envy us if my program is implemented. As our boat sailed south on the James River, named for our illustrious King James, whose bible we cherish, I saw enough to know that your program is not unique. While Rome used cords of wood as crosses for standing human bodies along the old highways in great numbers, you are here using the tree and the rope on occasion.

I caught the whiff of a dead slave hanging from a tree a couple of miles back. You are not only losing valuable stock by hangings, you are having uprisings, slaves are running away, your crops are sometimes left in the fields too long for maximum profit, you suffer occasional fires, your animals are killed, gentlemen...you know what your problems are; I do not need to elaborate. I am not here to enumerate your problems, I am here to introduce you to a method of solving them.

In my bag here, I have a fool-proof method for controlling your black slaves. I guarantee everyone of you that if installed correctly it will control the slaves for at least 300 years. My method is simple, any member of your family or any overseer can use it.

I have outlined a number of differences among the slaves, and I take these differences and make them bigger. I use fear, distrust, and envy for control purposes. These methods have worked on my modest plantation in the West Indies, and it will work throughout the South. Take this simple little test of differences and think about them. On the top of my list is "Age", but it is there because it only starts with an "A"; the second is "Color" or shade; there is intelligence, size, s*ex, size of plantations, attitude of owners, whether the slaves live in the valley, on a hill, East, West, North, South, have fine or coarse hair, or is tall or short. Now that you have a list of differences, I shall give you an outline of action--but before that, I shall assure you that distrust is stronger than trust, and envy is stronger than adulation, respect, or admiration.

The Black Slave, after receiving this indoctrination, shall carry on and will become self refueling and self generating for hundreds of years, maybe thousands.

Don't forget, you must pitch the old Black vs. the young Black male, and the young Black male against the old Black male. You must use the dark skinned slaves vs the light skinned slaves, and the light skinned slaves vs. the dark skinned slaves. You must use the female vs. the male, and the male vs. the female. You must also have your servants and overseers distrust all Blacks, but it is necessary that your slaves trust and depend on us. They must love, respect, and trust only us.

Gentlemen, these kits are your keys to control, use them. Have your wives and children use them. Never miss opportunity. My plan is guaranteed, and the good thing about this plan is that if used intensely for one year, the slaves themselves will remain perpetually distrustful.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 06, 2005 at 07:09 AM

Shameless1 write:
    Today I am JUST PLAIN DISGUSTED at white people.......WIlliam Bennet's
    comments made me want to throw up! A former government official mentioning, in a cavalier fashion, on national radio, the genocide of all black chldren by abortion is an indication of the deep and boldly blatant rascism in this country. They have no shame and don't even try and hide it!

Then I saw a intense documentary about black slavery - dramatic readings by
    black actors of interviews done with former slaves in the 1930s...describing the torture, whippings, cruelty and wholesale callousness of white owners against slaves.......I saw photographs of scarred backs cross hatched with ridges of scars, I heard stories of families sold off separately, desparate attempts to escape and be free........I just sat there and cried...I am ashamed to be white in America today.....In fact
    I AM ASHAMED TO BE AMERICAN TODAY!!!!!!

No offense, but did you just realize the harsh and cruel history of America towards African Americans. It must be nice to live in a cultural world where you can be shielded from such realities.

In my opinion, America should be ashamed of her history and should take steps to improve the equality of all of her citizens. The sad part is, America is not working towards that goal. Some people might disagree, but they are only kidding themselves. Anyone with half a brain can read the latest government statistics and come to the logical conclusion that minorities are no better off in this country today than they were 50 years ago.

Oh Yeah...Do you think Bennet is the only man in Washington who feels that way? It would not matter so much about the opinions of the countless others who shares Bennet's ideology of Black folk, except for the fact that they are powerful decision makers (senators, congressmen, judges, etc.) Their personal opinions affects all of us.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 05, 2005 at 01:03 PM

brian66 write:
    SENTORYU writes things are getting BETTER ..I really think he believes that.. pour soul!.. SENTORYU take the blinkers of your eyes..ANY person with the least common sense can see that things are getting worse..and JESUS writes of a time to come when "mens hearts will faint for FEAR because of things coming upon the earth " "and distress upon nations NOT KNOWING the way out" things will NOT get better until JESUS comes ..you say you read your BIBLE so you SHOULD know that..BRIAN

Brian why don't YOU read your Bible...

You certainly have a nack for taking things out of context and you are FOREVER ACCUSING ME... (Satan) Why don't you just GET BEHIND ME IN THE NAME OF JESUS!

God also tells us to have FAITH and that he did not give us the Spirit of FEAR but of Power and Love and of a sound mind.
    So if you want to live your life in B0NDAGE and FEAR then that is your God given choice. But don't fault me for doing what God wants me to do and HAVE FAITH!!!
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 04, 2005 at 11:28 AM

SENTORYU writes things are getting BETTER ..I really think he believes that.. pour soul!.. SENTORYU take the blinkers of your eyes..ANY person with the least common sense can see that things are getting worse..and JESUS writes of a time to come when "mens hearts will faint for FEAR because of things coming upon the earth " "and distress upon nations NOT KNOWING the way out" things will NOT get better until JESUS comes ..you say you read your BIBLE so you SHOULD know that..BRIAN
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 01, 2005 at 11:48 PM

cyupanqui write:

People took pictures with the Black guy about to be executed, and they went as if it were a picnic: with their kids and taking food to eat at the place. In that book there are pics of white men, women and children posing with the Black man about to be hanged, smiling and even hugging him as if it were a fair.

Where do you think the term PICNIC came from....

Pick a N...

Human beings are Crule...and Heartless sometimes.. But I am not ashmed to be Human, Nor am I ashamed to be American...
    Despite what others may think or what they feel about America and American's This is Still the most wonderful country on this planet.

We are a YOUNG nation and as was mentioned there are tons of civilizations that had many bad things happen in thier history as well...

Thing to Note is that we are Learning and things are Always getting better Everyday....

Never be ashamed of who you are.
    God created White people just like he created the rest of us... God loves us all despite our skin color
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 01, 2005 at 02:31 PM

Actually, the history of the USA is not much bloodier than the history of other nations. However, and here I'm trying to be impartial, I must say European people have a dismal record of mistreating other ethnic groups, particularly the darker ones.

There is an amazing book called "Without Sanctuary" about the lynchings of Black people in the USA. What really struck me is that the lynchings were not just mob justice: they were rituals.

People took pictures with the Black guy about to be executed, and they went as if it were a picnic: with their kids and taking food to eat at the place. In that book there are pics of white men, women and children posing with the Black man about to be hanged, smiling and even hugging him as if it were a fair.

It's the sort of experience that makes one feel sick in the stomach.

Lynchings took a whole day, where thousands of people participated. The body of the hanged man was often burnt, and the people who were present took small pieces of it as mementoes: little bones, burnt clothes, etc.

Several decades after the lynchings those items were still being traded as if they were baseball cards.

Also, if one considers what was done in India, Australia, the Philippines and even worse in America, gosh, one could conclude that there is a lot of hidden violence in the hearts of white people.

In my own country, for example, rebel Indians were not killed but kept alive for weeks during which parts of their bodies were slowly amputated. And one of the typical suplices was killing slowly the rebel leaders' families in front of their eyes, their children and women.

We could think all those things happened long ago, but the last lynchings in the USA only date back about 50-60 years, and the last tortures of Natives in South America are even more recent.

More recently, campaigns of mass sterilization have been carried out against Natives in South America and Aboriginals in Australia.

But I wonder, would history had been any different if any other group of people had had the amount of power Europeans had? If, say, Native Americans had concentrated on producing weapons instead of producing diverse types of crops, and had "discovered" Europe in the 15th century, would we have been any different? If Africans had started "importing" European slaves in the Xth century, would they have been any kinder to them? If the Mongols had conquered all of Europe, would they have treated their white servants any better?

Perhaps cruelty is nothing but another human characteristic we all share and that only comes to the fore when our own group has accumulated enough power to exert it on those who happen to be 'different' and have less power than ourselves.

I feel ashamed to be human sometimes, with such a long history of atrocities that still keep happening, from the bombing of countries and killing of thousands of civilians as "collateral casualties" to the savage civil wars where people hack each other to pieces with machetes, from the crazed bomber killing herself in a bus full of people in the name of justice, to the drunk soldier who perhaps shot her son just for fun.

All ugliness is enchained, and is the duty of us all to break the chain. Each ugly act taints not only a group, but the whole of humanity because we're all interrelated. Yes, sometimes I feel ashamed to be human.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 01, 2005 at 12:06 PM

Ashamed of being White in America I don't get, but ashamed of being an American after Bennett's and many other comments as well as a few other recent events, I certainly do get that. We as a nation shouldn't even begin to berate other countries for their human rights violations or lack of democracy until THIS country cleans up the mess in its own backyard.

I don't think that you should feel guilty about the events of the past because they're not your fault, but it is important that everyone makes sure that those horrors do not occur again. ALL of the atrocities that happened in the past had one thing in common: too many people said or did nothing to stop the madness long before the atrocities began. Martin Niemoller, a Protestant Pastor of a church, during the Nazi occupation in Germany once said this about German citizens' unwillingness to speak out against the Nazis:

"First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist so I did not speak out. Then they came for the Socialists and the Trade Unionists, but I was neither, so I did not speak out. Then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew so I did not speak out. And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak out for me."

At least you spoke out Shameless1. So many others in this country need to do the same. I'll add my thoughts to the cause...Bennett is an arrogant idiot and so are those both Black and White folks that are supporting his ridiculous logic.
Follow - email me when people comment