New to Buddhism Religion Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Feb 23, 2005 at 04:33 PM

As a born again christian, I was taken back by what a friend was telling me about Buddhism. It is so open, no guilt, but looking within our self to do better. Letting go of yesterday, and enjoying today, and prepare but not worry about tomorrow. I like this
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 31Comments

• View author's info Posted on Jan 05, 2018 at 07:40 AM

As far as we know, Christ spent his formative years in the East, studying/perfecting these esoteric practices, though this is not recorded in the canon of the Bible we are given. The Nazarine vow is all about this. All I would say is that everyone's relationship with the Creator, is their own alone, and for them to seek and pursue within themselves, and so I would advise steering clear of religious dogma and zealous preachers etc.... For guidance and/or introduction into this realm of meditation/awareness of God within, I know none better than Mooji in this time... Just type "Mooji" into youtube, and you will find plenty to go on.... ;)

Peace in 1 <3

• View author's info Posted on Feb 18, 2006 at 05:46 AM

MIDLOVE write:
    Sorry about that, Samantha. At the time, I was the only one that had responded to MMhr473...
    I probably should address who I'm talking to, seeing that that problem exists.
    Thanks sweets, =D
    That helps so much in following the thread of the conversation!
    Especially when I'm reading late at night... too addle pated to make accurate assumptions...
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 08, 2006 at 02:39 AM

Posts by non-paying members are delayed. So if a non-paying member posts before a paying member, even though his/her post is above the paying member's, it won't show until next day.

Nichiren Buddhism has some beautiful things to say, but also the Gosho has some more troubling (as in closed-minded) sections. I don't like it when someone says his way or the highway, and that's what Nichiren does with respect to the Lotus Sutra: you either accept it as the most important sutra and are with him, or you don't, and are against him.

Nichiren Shoshu never impressed me, with all that devotion to their (always male) priests and Nikken Shonin, who does not strike me as a sympathetic character. Nichiren Shu is a lot more interesting, because it allows for guided study and diversity. Soka Gakkai has one of the most consistently positive philosophies out there, but the top-down organization and the strong hand of Daisaku Ikeda make it seem somewhat dictatorial to me.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 07, 2006 at 02:35 PM

Samantha451 write:

Ok MIDLOVE,
    As GOOD as all of us here are...
    None of us is psychic.
    LOL

Umm...
    If you will, couldja tell us who your above post is directed to, dear?
    =^D

Sorry about that, Samantha. At the time, I was the only one that had responded to MMhr473, based on my computer. There was no one here, even yesterday. Now, all of a sudden there is you and Brian. And you all are in front of me. I don't get it. However, I've seen Brian's posts come in late before. But still, I probably should address who I'm talking to, seeing that that problem exists.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 07, 2006 at 12:08 AM

MIDLOVE write:
    ooh,ooh,ooh, I think I'll go first. I would say, it is a result of life and engineering intelligence that includes all types science associated with it.

I've got a feeling this is going to be pretty interesting. So, how did I do?

By the way, welcome aboard. I'm glad you're here.

Ok MIDLOVE,
    As GOOD as all of us here are...
    None of us is psychic.
    LOL

Umm...
    If you will, couldja tell us who your above post is directed to, dear?
    =^D
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 05, 2006 at 12:30 PM

ooh,ooh,ooh, I think I'll go first. I would say, it is a result of life and engineering intelligence that includes all types science associated with it.

I've got a feeling this is going to be pretty interesting. So, how did I do?

By the way, welcome aboard. I'm glad you're here.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 05, 2006 at 12:03 PM

MMHR473 writes "the TEMPLE is within your self".... BRIAN says be VERY careful as to WHO OR WHAT you set up in that TEMPLE to worship ! ..remember what GOD did to the JEWS who worshipped FALSE GODS, GOD is no respector of persons ..there is only one that should sit in the TEMPLE of GOD and that one is not ALLAH or KALI or BUDDHA ,it is ALMIGHTY YAHWEH the creator of ALL.....BRIAN
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 05, 2006 at 11:51 AM

MMHR473 writes ! you have to pick which paths to lead your own life to happiness...JESUS said I AM the way ,,,,,,,,no man comes to the FATHER except theough ME....and the APOSTLE wrote "there is not ANY OTHER NAME under heaven by which men can be saved except JESUS CHRIST . there are NOT many PATHS and ways to heaven or GOD ,there is only ONE WAY or PATH and that way is JESUS ! ..brian !..
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 05, 2006 at 11:00 AM

MMHR473 writes "when looking at a leaf" ect ect ..well maam you can look at a leaf ,and see its shape and colour, and what tree or bush it came from and so on, BUT that will NOT teach you about JESUS and the way of salvation that GOD has prepared for us through his SON ..it is only by looking at a leaf of a page of the BIBLE that will give us understanding of GOD and his plans for this world .quote "to the LAW and the TESTIMONY if they do not speak according to THIS WORD it is because there is NO LIGHT in them" .....BRIAN
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 05, 2006 at 10:58 AM

MIDLOVE write:
    You're right Cyup, there seems to be a problem with the never ending cycle of Karma. The concept was to mature the souls of the people, but maturity is not evident. As the world gets worse and worse, the concept of karma seems to be fading as a means of creating a better tomorrow.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 05, 2006 at 10:41 AM

cyupanqui write:

Holy digressions Batman!

LOL @ Holy digressions... =D

Although this began as a Religious topic, several points got a bit off of the strictly theological theme into the realm of Ancient History.

To our esteemed Mr. Yupanqui I've only to say,
    Thank you for bringing into these discussions, and strictly adhering to!, theories accepted by the greater scientific community, supported by Archaeological and Anthropological record as well as the irrefutable science of Genetics.

If one choses to suppliment such scientific knowledge with spiritual text, that is a matter of faith and of personal choice. For those who might choose to I'd say,
    God gave mankind intelligence with which to understand and impliment scientific methodology to discern fact from fiction.

Now it may well be that science will advance (rather, relatively recently, IS advancing, as is in the case of the pathing of the human genome) to further flesh out the picture that Archeaological and Anthropological records present.

But for now, best -as you do throughout these boards- to base such discussions on currently accepted scientific principles rather than by -as other would- citing psudoscientific texts with a racial bias toward the "superiority" of ANY one of the races or theological texts with a bent toward the "superiority" of ANY one religious creed.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 04, 2006 at 02:32 AM

Hi I have been practing since 1983! I was SGI had to get out too much mind control and does not study only whorship Ikeda! And I do not whorship a fake and a man who separated him self from Buddhism and he thinks he is the True Buddha! I am now Nichiren Shu Buddhist and now have found my place where I should be at. Been one for years. I do study under a priest into my own studies. And do meditate as well.

In Buddhism its about life within its self. Like walking on many prisms many paths you have to pick which paths to lead your own life to happiness. Happiness is within your self. The temple is within your self. Your mind is within your self.

Nichiren is the messenger he has taught us to let go of many obstacles that we will be going thur and Shakyamuni wanted to know and only common sense to all human beings, animals and plants etc., birth, illness, suffering, old age and death everything around you has this even animals, plants and human beings.

And old Zen parable., I have always ask people this to see where and how much open minded they are, when you look at a leaf what do you see? If you can not see what that leaf holds then you are not open minded in your own life and you are unhappy. Cause you are blinded by your own justification in life.

Namu-Myoho-Renge-Kyo!
    Mary

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Jan 21, 2006 at 11:22 PM

PHEA 44 thinks he should write a series of posts on CHRIST versus religion..thats a very good idea PHEA44..i for one would welcome such a post...looking forward to it ...BRIAN....
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 21, 2006 at 12:08 AM

brian66 write:
    It sounds a lot like placing one's head in that proverbial ostrich -like hole as a form of protection. Before embracing Buddhism, or any religion, explore it first. Look at it very carefully. As far as no feelings of guilt?? Hmmm...I hate to tell you this, but having no feelings of guilt doesn't remove the guilt. We humans are all guilty of something(s), and since all religions are man-made, no man-made religion, or "chanting" will cover or wipe away guilt.<<<<<<<<

Well said Brian! Perhaps I should write a series of posts on
    Christ versus religion! It should make for a very interesting read indeed!
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 29, 2005 at 12:21 PM

beanpie wrote:
    This is incorrect for, the Aryans began the Caste system about 4,000 years ago, when they invaded the Black Dravidians.
    4,000 years ago was 2,000 BCE, which is not too far off the 1800-1500 BCE date usually given to the Invasions.

In another post you yourself quoted from _The Penguin History of the World_:

"Skeletons, possibly those of men killed where they fell, were found in the streets of Mohenjo-Dara. Harappan civilizations seems to end in the Indus valley about 1750 BC and this coincides strikingly with the irruption into Indian history of one of its great creative forces, the invading Aryans, though scholars do not favor the idea that invaders destroyed the Indian Valley cities.

"Perhaps the newcomers entered a land already devastated by over-exploitation and natural disorders...

"...They did not obliterate the native peoples, though the Indus valley civilization crumbled."

Notice the date for the time when the Aryans arrive at Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro: about 1750 BCE. As you know, both those cities are in what is today's Pakistan, north of India. By the time the Aryans had finished conquering the North of the Indian peninsula, it was about 1500 BCE. Using the text itself you quoted the "Aryans began the Caste system about 4,000 years ago" is disproved, since it is known the caste system was not implemented until *after* the conquest of the North of the Indian peninsula was completed.

By the way, it is worth of mention that the theory of an Aryan Invasion of India has come into debate since the second half of the 20th century. Also, Dravidians, just like Melanesians and Australian Aborigines, even though they have a 'black' skin, are not genetically close to sub-Saharan Africans.

In fact, sub-Saharan Africans are closer (from a genetic point of view) to European Caucasians than they are to Melanesians. See _The History and Geography of Human Genes_ by Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza, Paolo Menozzi and Alberto Piazza. According to modern research (using genetic tools such as PCR analysis and radiological immunocompatibility), Dravidians are a branch of the Caucasoid group, and linguistic analysis places them close to the ancient Elamites, which was a dark-skinned Semitic group.

Holy digressions Batman!
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 29, 2005 at 11:58 AM

Actually, I was talking about Hinduism. Buddhism comes from Hinduism, but it is about 1,000 years younger.

The Aryan invasions are likely to have happened around 1,500 BCE, not before. What happens is that when Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro where found, advanced cities built around 3,500 BCE, many European historians 'dated back' the Aryan invasions in order to say that even those original civilizations in the Hindus valley had been produced by Aryan intellect.

Which is rubbish. Up to now we don't really know who was responsible for them, it may have been the proto-Dravidians or the Semito-Dravidians, but we know for sure it wasn't the proto-Indo-Europeans.

The accepted date for the Aryan Invasions is a few decades *after* Harappa had been abandoned. The Aryan artifacts found there lie over a layer of dirt which is atop the old city. And the differences in crafting are evident.

See:

www . geocities . com / Athens / Ithaca / 1335 / Hist / chrn_ihs.html

Get rid of the spaces. The contents of that page are for the most part reproduced from "The Oxford History of India," still an often-used textbook in college.
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 28, 2005 at 01:45 PM

ALL man made religions have failed to bring peace and stabilty to the world because they try to do it in ways that are acceptable to them but NOT acceptable to GOD ,thus they will continue to fail until SOMEONE turns them to a RELIGION that IS acceptable to GOD and that SOMEONE is JESUS...BRIAN
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 27, 2005 at 02:49 PM

You're right Cyup, there seems to be a problem with the never ending cycle of Karma. The concept was to mature the souls of the people, but maturity is not evident. As the world gets worse and worse, the concept of karma seems to be fading as a means of creating a better tomorrow.
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 26, 2005 at 12:32 AM

I have problems with the concept of "karma." It seems the law of cause and effect is often used by Buddhist groups to excuse all forms of atrocities.

So, if certain people are persecuted and systematically annihilated, it is their "karma," they are cleaning (or expunging or paying for it) in the present life.

I don't buy it.

Sounds like just another method of population control to me. Karma is wishful thinking, trying to imagine a system of just retribution in order to explain unfairness as the result of the past lives of a person. So those who are suffering and persecuted are just paying for their past karma.

Also, there is karma for a country, family karma and even racial karma. So if a country is going through the ravages of war (for example, Iraq) it can be safely explained because of the collective bad karma of the people living there.

How convenient.

Karma was originally a concept invented to keep people under control in India. When the Aryan tribes invaded in 1500 BCE, the majority of the population in the sub-continent was Dravidian (ergo, dark-skinned). The Aryans (who were what we now call "Proto-Indo-Europeans") changed the religious practices in order to keep control of a much larger population--they were outnumbered 50 to 1 by the Dravidian peoples.

So they incorporated Shiva (the Dravidian Earth-goddess) into their own system, and introduced the concept of karma.

Karma provided to that large and oppressed Dravidian population a way out: if they 'behaved' in the present life, followed whatever their Aryan masters commanded faithfully, and above all never did anything violent against those masters, they could hope to be reincarnated as Aryans themselves in their next lives.

Later on, when mixing produced several different colors ('castes'), the carrot was that if you behaved nice you could reincarnate as a lighter color-that is, a higher caste.

The system worked quite well, and in fact the whole edifice of Buddhism (in its modern form) was built on the primitive idea of karma. But it was originally a means of population control. That's why the concept of peace and accepting your own karma are so central to Buddhist ideology. In a Buddhist world, the underprivileged and enslaved would be much more likely to remain that way.

People tend to forget that.
Follow - email me when people comment