GHETTO WHITE GIRLS VS REGULAR WHITE GIRLS Message board Forward to friends

• View author's info Posted on Nov 17, 2005 at 01:33 PM

Good heavens, there is not even stereotypes about my race. I'm so scre'wed.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 17, 2005 at 09:58 AM

aeroz29 write:

... We all know better than to pretend such differences don't exist between the races. We are here because we like the differences.

While I don't agree with what you said, I recognize that you have the right to express your feelings, thoughts, and/or beliefs, whatever they may be.

However, in the future, might I suggest that you not be so inclusive in your statements, i.e. " we all know", and "we are here". Not everyone on this site is here for the same reasons as you.

As I respect your rights, please "pay it forward" and respect others individuality.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 17, 2005 at 07:46 AM

caramel_princess write:

Speak for yourself, babydoll. You're here to date a stereotype. That much is clear.

It is clear she only sees in stereotypes. I would hope a 60 yr old (example only) black man would not be listening to hip hop in his baggie pants and his hat turned backwards smokin a blunt. LOLLLLLLLL
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 17, 2005 at 06:48 AM

A "stereotype" is a generalization about a person or group of persons. We develop stereotypes when we are unable or unwilling to obtain all of the information we would need to make fair judgments about people or situations. In the absence of the "total picture," stereotypes in many cases allow us to "fill in the blanks." Our society often innocently creates and perpetuates stereotypes, but these stereotypes often lead to unfair discrimination and persecution when the stereotype is unfavorable.

I think what struck me wrong about Aeroz's post is that a relationship would be built on baggy pants and the ability or practice of using the current slang.

Underneath ANYONE'S Baggy pants, slang slinging, business suit wearing, proper language using, skin color, eye shape, body type or culture..."whatever".... is a thinking breathing human being with thoughts , dreams, values, and experiences of their own. These are the immutable things about any person.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 17, 2005 at 06:15 AM

I agree with Caramel....stereotyping is a very questionable thing at best. At worst, in the mind of the people doing it, it relegates people into categories like "white" and "black"

I think she missed the whole point of the post.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 17, 2005 at 05:36 AM

aeroz29 write:
    For the folks here who pretend not to understand what acting black and acting white are, let me clarify...

If you saw a white guy walking around saying, "I gotta go home for a minute," or, "Yeah, I dig it," or "You feel me?" and stuff like that, wouldn't you think he was trying to be black?

And if you saw a white man with cornrows, wouldn't you think he was trying to be black?

And if you saw a black man who never listened to hip hop, raggae or rap, and who never wore any baggy clothes or never used any black slang, but instead acted like a white "dude" by his speech, body language, dress, and behavior, wouldn't you think he was trying to be a white man?

We all know better than to pretend such differences don't exist between the races. We are here because we like the differences.

Speak for yourself, babydoll. You're here to date a stereotype. That much is clear.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 13, 2005 at 09:50 AM

I have a lot of respect for Condoleeza Rice also because she is not afraid to express her views and she takes a stand for what she believes even if its not popular with the majority of our race. I am a BW and although I do not agree with some of her idiologies I must give her props because she is an exceptionally intelligent accomplished woman and she is diffinately a great role model.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 12, 2005 at 12:07 PM

Role models are very important. If minorities have good role models, then it is easier to break ranks in school and oppose peer pressure.

Even though she's not my favorite politician, I must admit I see Condoleezza Rice as a positive role model for many children.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 12, 2005 at 11:27 AM

Just saw the movie "Crash" - about sterotypes. interesting flick.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 12, 2005 at 07:04 AM

MrRSVP write:
    What is really sad is when these stereotypes filter into the classroom. Gifted African America students are "dumbing themselves down" out of fear of being accused of "acting white" by their African American peers.

That is a very good point.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 11, 2005 at 05:46 AM

What is really sad is when these stereotypes filter into the classroom. Gifted African America students are "dumbing themselves down" out of fear of being accused of "acting white" by their African American peers.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 10, 2005 at 04:24 PM

caramel_princess write:
    Some of you posted some excellent responses here.

You know, I look at people like EMINEM and Mark Wahlberg on television and don't understand how anyone can say that acting ghetto is "a Black thing". Open your eyes to the world around you.

Exactly... The Problem IS that even Black people buy into this Stereotype... Claiming this manner to be their OWN... When Eminem and Mark W. as well as a few other that escape me right now... But when they were FIRST coming out they were DEEMED as wanna bes By the Black Community as well as the White Community...
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 08, 2005 at 02:45 PM

caramel_princess write:

You know, I look at people like EMINEM and Mark Wahlberg on television and don't understand how anyone can say that acting ghetto is "a Black thing". Open your eyes to the world around you.

B-I-N-G-O!

Yes, they are two good examples. I didn't even think of Mark Wahlberg.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 08, 2005 at 02:37 PM

• View author's info Posted on Nov 08, 2005 at 07:32 AM

slidewinderq write:
    BTW, the whole saggy/baggy pants "style" began in the penitentiary, where prisoners weren't allowed to wear belts. This was because if they weren't using them for weapons to kill each other with, they were hanging themselves with them.

So if anyone wants to think I'm acting white because my pants aren't falling off my @$$, then I say, I'm not ANYBODY'S prisoner......literally AND figuratively!!!

LMAO Slide, I have got to write this one down.

I have never understood why anyone would want to wear their pants around there ankles LOL! I see they have started making pants this way now. What really used to make me cringe is when they would wear regular baggy jeans hung down and let their underwear show. I have always had the compelling urge to walk up and yank those s-uckers down to their knees and say "Ooops...my bad!"
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 08, 2005 at 07:27 AM

Samantha451 write:
    We are educated and under-educated. We are rich and we are poor.

Aye, and these are two things that we oh so badly need to change.

It is unfortunate that lower income families often remain there because they can't afford to send their children to college. We are the richest country in the world and therefore this shouldn't be occurring. The problem is that the wealth, in this country, is concentrated rather than dispersed to those who need it to get ahead.

Tax breaks are given to the most wealthy while the middle class is taxed into poverty. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

Is it me or does it seem that the rich bureaucrats are trying to make a larger pool of dependant poor. So long as everyone under them is dependant on them then they have no worries, eh?
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 08, 2005 at 07:19 AM

MrRSVP write:
    This goes to show the dichotomous way of thinking some people have about Black folk. Acting "ghetto" is perceived to be acting black. Whereas acting proper, educated, ar non-ghetto is perceived to be acting "white". This is an internalized way of thinking that affects blacks as well as non-blacks.

It's sad that the African American culture has been reduced to (in the pop culture) nothing more than negative stereotypes. What's worse is that most people believe these stereotypes to be true.

I know exactly what you mean, friend.

For me, personally I dislike being around people (any race) who act unintelligent (and maybe are LOL). This is not a Black or White thing, but you are right in that pop culture (MTV?) has made it out to be a Black thing.

Cyup,
    I think my point is that there is a difference when one can use a little slang here and there but when one uses it as their primary way of conversing with everyone around them. By choosing to speak in such a way, these individuals will remain stagnant because the rest of the populace (and especially the wrokforce) will view them as ignorant and uneducated. I don't see a single man or woman (white/black or other) here at the University, where I work, speaking or acting "ghetto".

Some people may consider certain things cultural, but Urban culture (as we may call it) has been born of the pop culture and is merely a fabrication that does not conform with certain elements that the whole of society would view as professional and acceptable.

At some point it is shoved down a person's throat through peer pressure, in an effort, to make that person more acceptable to the group. If they don't accept it, then that person is deemed an outcast or more like one of "them" (the projection of a negative view of another group- "them"). As Slide's example has shown us when he was told that he "acts" or "talks" "white". This act is simply another discriminating form and another reason why this country needs more unity and solidarity.

My kids on occasion will bring home some new street slang word and use it in a humorous way, but the moment they start talking that stuff on a regular basis... I'll have to put my foot down and say "Stop dissin' me an speak English son!" LMAO! The fact is, that as a parent, I want the best for my children. For them to be the best, I have to make sure that they understand what that entails. If they speak English properly, then everyone will understand them, not just a select few and they will go much further in life and will command much more respect.

Of course I think what may cause some confusion is that I'm not talking about a cultural accent. Accents vary from one demographic to another. From the time I was eleven until I was about eighteen I lived in Nashville, Tenn so I, obviously, had a Southern accent. However, one day I went to Greenville, TN (near Knoxville) and the Southern accent there was much more pronounced.. so much more that I had to have people repeat themselves so I could understand them. When I moved here to Indiana, I noticed a large variety of accents based on the town you are from. In Terre Haute, IN some folks have just as strong of a southern dialect as those in Greenville whereas, here in Fort Wayne, more of a Northern accent. Accents are cultural and cross-cultural and are normal and, also, don't pertain to one racial group or another. One can have a strong "cultural" accent and still speak proper English.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 07, 2005 at 11:45 AM

MrRSVP write:
    Could somebody PLEASE tell me what does it mean to act "white" or act "black".

Does acting white mean acting proper and correct and acting black mean acting ghetto. I just want to know.

That is EXACTLY what I want to know... Might these people be "GENERALIZING"???? Oh no God Forbid that someone does that... OMG call a doctor....

I think it is Awful to GENERALIZE people in that manner. That a certain TALK or way of acting can be associated with your SKIN COLOR... and that if you do not FIT THIS STEREOTYPE then you are DEEMED a wanna be...

SHAME on you!! When I see people that are clearly ACTING I call it ACTING STUPID PERIOD... There is NOT race or Skin color associated with Stupidity...

So long as a person is being theirselves then I don't have a problem with it. Well, as long as they don't have a problem with me being myself.

I also think this is another clear sign of what I was trying to express in another thread... SOCIETY, Economical, and social status really does matter...

It is ashame that people think that way... But what you are saying is that White people are intelligent, well mannered, articulate, well groomed, etc etc and Black people are GHETTO, Backwards talking, comedians that can't be taken seriously..... (in a NUT SHELL)

Slightly off topic, but relevant... There was recently a "Dress Code" enacted on the players of the NBA... Many people felt it was Racially BIASED and targeted mostly the Black Atheletes... Someone Said that the league wanted them to dress "MORE WHITE" Sorry But I find that INSULTING to suggest that Dressing in a suit and tie is "DRESSING WHITE"

Another point that I have tried to stress this plays into the thinking that... WHITE= Educated, things Good and Proper
    Black= Uneducated, The wrong things and what is BAD...

Age old trick just a tad more subtle...
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 07, 2005 at 11:00 AM

<~~~singing loudly....."I can't get no-oh satisfsction!"
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 07, 2005 at 10:36 AM

It's also a matter of preference. I like diversity in culture and even language: trying to preserve linguistic purity is a futile endeavour.

That I can talk like the Matrix's Architect if so I choose doesn't mean I cannot go in a long tirade in street-slang. Further, which style I choose may depend on whom I'm talking to and what is my mood at the time.

That ability is, to me, linguistic freedom.
Follow - email me when people comment