GHETTO WHITE GIRLS VS REGULAR WHITE GIRLS Message board Forward to friends

• View author's info Posted on Oct 25, 2005 at 01:17 PM

Hey, Nice! Phea here. Good post.

Yeah! I know what you're talking about. There are people(not just some white females btw)who believe
    in order to fit into Black culture, they must "act black" to be accepted. Most of them fail miserably because it comes off as being fake or artificial.

I also wonder who the person really is. It's a bit annoying I have to say. Occasionally, when I read a profile, I notice phrases like, "hit me up" or "Get at me," or "I don't want no baby-mama-drama," etc.

If this is the way they speak with everyone(regardless of race)I would have no qualms about this. But I think some are going the extra mile to feel accepted among Black people.

This shows there is a preconceived notion that some people hold regarding Black people. But having said that, we should never assume that someone is being artificial due to the language they use to express themselves.
    Case in point, I live in a city that has a large Samoan population, and I noticed that Samoan guys tend to use a lot of street slang that is almost identical to what many would refer to as ghetto talk or street language. So...are they being fake? I don't think so. It's just their "natural" way of communicating with each other, and if you closed your eyes and forget that they're Samoans, you would swear that you were listening to some street wise Black men(no kidding). Just offering another side of this coin.

If I were interested in a Latin woman, would I try to "act Latin?" Of course not. I would simply be myself, and if that isn't good enough, then that Latin woman isn't worthy of me, and I would simply say...NEXT!!!!!

Interesting topic. I can't wait to read what others have to "say" about this.
    Hey, Nice! Phea here. Good post.

Yeah! I know what you're talking about. There are people(not just some white females btw)who believe
    in order to fit into Black culture, they must "act black" to be accepted. Most of them fail miserably because it comes off as being fake or artificial.

I also wonder who the person really is. It's a bit annoying I have to say. Occasionally, when I read a profile, I notice phrases like, "hit me up" or "Get at me," or "I don't want no baby-mama-drama," etc.

If this is the way they speak with everyone(regardless of race)I would have no qualms about this. But I think some are going the extra mile to feel accepted among Black people.

This shows there is a preconceived notion that some people hold regarding Black people. But having said that, we should never assume that someone is being artificial due to the language they use to express themselves.
    Case in point, I live in a city that has a large Samoan population, and I noticed that Samoan guys tend to use a lot of street slang that is almost identical to what many would refer to as ghetto talk or street language. So...are they being fake? I don't think so. It's just their "natural" way of communicating with each other, and if you closed your eyes and forget that they're Samoans, you would swear that you were listening to some street wise Black men(no kidding). Just offering another side of this coin.

If I were interested in a Latin woman, would I try to "act Latin?" Of course not. I would simply be myself, and if that isn't good enough, then that Latin woman isn't worthy of me, and I would simply say...NEXT!!!!!

Interesting topic. I can't wait to read what others have to "say" about this.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 25, 2005 at 11:52 AM

I see what you're getting at as far as not caring for people who aren't being true to themselves. It might also be a matter of what the person can relate to and how they were brought up.

Case in point- I was raised by a single mom in some of the worst ghettos imaginable. Despite that, whenever I mispronounced a word, she would correct me on the spot. I was also blessed with good school teachers who cared and wouldn't cut me any slack either. As a side-effect, I guess I learned how to put a couple of sentences together.

The conflict came when my peers decided that I wasn't "keepin' it real" because I knew how to speak proper English. I got the sense they figured 'underachievement' equated with 'street credibility'. Being yourself, especially at that age was sometimes easier said than done. As a result, I was accused of trying to be white. (Whatever logic that entails is lost on me) I assure you that WASN'T and still ISN'T the case, but like Popeye said, "I am what I am."

The point I'm trying to make is to make sure not to always assume the people in question are being fake. Yeah, there's a clear difference between somebody who's trying too hard via cultural affectation, and somebody who grew up in and can relate to the culture. Just my 2 cents plus sales tax.
    I see what you're getting at as far as not caring for people who aren't being true to themselves. It might also be a matter of what the person can relate to and how they were brought up.

Case in point- I was raised by a single mom in some of the worst ghettos imaginable. Despite that, whenever I mispronounced a word, she would correct me on the spot. I was also blessed with good school teachers who cared and wouldn't cut me any slack either. As a side-effect, I guess I learned how to put a couple of sentences together.

The conflict came when my peers decided that I wasn't "keepin' it real" because I knew how to speak proper English. I got the sense they figured 'underachievement' equated with 'street credibility'. Being yourself, especially at that age was sometimes easier said than done. As a result, I was accused of trying to be white. (Whatever logic that entails is lost on me) I assure you that WASN'T and still ISN'T the case, but like Popeye said, "I am what I am."

The point I'm trying to make is to make sure not to always assume the people in question are being fake. Yeah, there's a clear difference between somebody who's trying too hard via cultural affectation, and somebody who grew up in and can relate to the culture. Just my 2 cents plus sales tax.
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 25, 2005 at 11:18 AM

I think what he means is what some people refer to as "ACTING BLACK" or the Opposite to that would be.."ACTING WHITE"

This is funny cause a friend and I were just discussing this vary topic Yesterday. We met a very atractive White woman. In our conversation she asked us Why we were acting WHITE??? LOL
    I think this stems from certain STEREOTYPES that one has of a certain group of people.

I simply replied that I am not ACTING like anyone BUT ME!!! We all are in many ways a product of our environment. I know many white people that grew up around mostly Black Neighborhoods and tend to dress, use the same language (slangs), and listen to the same types of musics as the majority of people that they grew up with. They also seem to be able to get along with or RELATE TO BETTER, the people they grew up with. I would say that they are as much a product of their environment as I am of my suburban up bringing... I would not say they are acting BLACK no more than I am Acting WHITE...

When two people are together... they have thier own personalities but ultimately, due to their closeness, will transfer some of thier mannerisms back and forth.

If you are refering to something else please let us know and provide an example if you can....
    I think what he means is what some people refer to as "ACTING BLACK" or the Opposite to that would be.."ACTING WHITE"

This is funny cause a friend and I were just discussing this vary topic Yesterday. We met a very atractive White woman. In our conversation she asked us Why we were acting WHITE??? LOL
    I think this stems from certain STEREOTYPES that one has of a certain group of people.

I simply replied that I am not ACTING like anyone BUT ME!!! We all are in many ways a product of our environment. I know many white people that grew up around mostly Black Neighborhoods and tend to dress, use the same language (slangs), and listen to the same types of musics as the majority of people that they grew up with. They also seem to be able to get along with or RELATE TO BETTER, the people they grew up with. I would say that they are as much a product of their environment as I am of my suburban up bringing... I would not say they are acting BLACK no more than I am Acting WHITE...

When two people are together... they have thier own personalities but ultimately, due to their closeness, will transfer some of thier mannerisms back and forth.

If you are refering to something else please let us know and provide an example if you can....
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 25, 2005 at 10:46 AM

i agree with you kash.....i've had so many black guys say to me....u don't act like the type of white girl that likes black guys....u don't try to talk like us....i know a lot of women that that do that and i think it is crazy....just be yourself...if they don't like you for who you are then u don't want them anyway
    i agree with you kash.....i've had so many black guys say to me....u don't act like the type of white girl that likes black guys....u don't try to talk like us....i know a lot of women that that do that and i think it is crazy....just be yourself...if they don't like you for who you are then u don't want them anyway
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 25, 2005 at 07:53 AM

Hi Nice! I think I know what you mean and I have seen girls/women who try too hard (if you will) to get black men's attention by using black slang, etc. It's a shame, but some people think to fit in where they want to be they have to become something else.

Welcome!
    Hi Nice! I think I know what you mean and I have seen girls/women who try too hard (if you will) to get black men's attention by using black slang, etc. It's a shame, but some people think to fit in where they want to be they have to become something else.

Welcome!
Follow - email me when people comment