Doc Says Protect Yourself From Prenuptial Partying Health Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Oct 14, 2005 at 04:55 PM

My best friend and her new boyfriend decided to get tested for STD's before they have intimate relations. My friend said that her doctor told her to make sure that she and her partner still use protection even if the results come back normal. I agree with this whole heartedly. Her doctor went on to tell her that he even gives the same advice to newlyweds because it never fails one or both of the parties decides to sow their wild oats just before the wedding at their bachelor or bachelorette party and one or both contract an STD(s) to include HIV during the bash and soon after pass it on to their new spouse.

Aside from the stupidity of anyone having unprotected s*x in this day and age, doesn't marital engagement mean that one is in a committed relationship? I'm sure that more than one doctor is giving out this advice to newlyweds. Does anyone know of anyone else that was given this advice or GULP had to pay the price for a wild night of stupidity just before they got married? Your thoughts?
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 1Comment

• View author's info Posted on Oct 15, 2005 at 02:16 PM

Bellamoon, I hear what you are saying. I live in Atlanta, the AIDS capital for African Americans, so I understand where the doctors are coming from.

In an ideal world, marrige would mean commitment, but the world we live in is far from ideal. I was listening to the radio the other day, and heard several stories from women and men who contracted AIDS, from their spouses. Needless to say that the spouses were HIV negative prior to the marrige.

With cheating so common, and brothers being on the down low, I guess the best advice is to protect yourself, despite being married. Given the odds of a successful marrige, it would seem the logical choice.

In today's world, it seems everything is a crap shoot, even marrige. I guess its up to each individual as to whether or not they want to roll the dice.
Follow - email me when people comment