Foreign/Indie Films Entertainment and Hobbies

• View author's info Posted on Mar 16, 2005 at 11:19 AM

Has anyone seen any good foreign or Indie films? I'm really into them. I recently viewed "The Motorcycle Diaries" and "Sideways", and liked them both though Sideways is my favorite at the moment. For all of the romantics out there...I'd like to recommend a great film from Vietnam called "The Scent of Green Papaya". Very nice story line...so what have you seen?
  • 10Comments

• View author's info Posted on Feb 15, 2006 at 08:21 AM

my favorites, i'm not sure if they're indie, but they're foreign to me :
    y tu mama tambien
    amelie
    irreversible
    amores perros
    waterboys
    battle royale
    asterisk & obelisk

good filipino indie films i've watched recently:

the blossoming of maximo oliveros (shown in sundance and other international film fests this year, please watch it if you can)
    big time
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 14, 2006 at 04:05 PM

One of my all-time favorite films was made in Sicily. It is called "Cinema Paradiso." I highly recommend this film to anyone who just plain loves life and appreciates the contributions which people can make to a person's life. It is an unforgettable film to see. The ending will bring you to tears of joy.
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 06, 2006 at 07:44 AM

If you are looking for an interesting spin on the normal romantic films, check out: Love on a Diet (Hong Kong).

If you are into police thrillers, definitely go for the original Infernal Affairs (also Hong Kong).

I have heard that Hollywood is planning a remake, but really the script in the original is fabulous, and the storyline fits much more naturally into HK culture anyway.

For getting away into dancing/singing, there's nothing like Bollywood:

Caravan (older)

Main Hoon Na (which has a little bit of multiple genre stories in it well woven together and the music was good)

Happy viewing!
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 24, 2005 at 08:38 PM

Akami, "Maria Full of Grace" is very good as well.
    Akami, "Maria Full of Grace" is very good as well.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 16, 2005 at 04:50 PM

If you don't mind English subtitles, "Infection" is pretty good. It is a Japanese film and even my 11yr old son was intrigued by it.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 16, 2005 at 02:39 PM

Give thesea try:

Shall We Dance? (not w/ J.Lo)
    Shower
    The Wedding Banquet
    Amelie
    He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
    Monseuir Ibrahim
    Eat Drink Man Woman
    Like Water for Chocolate
  • View author's info Posted on May 20, 2005 at 01:01 PM

This is kind of old now, but the last foreign film I saw at the cinema was 'Kung Fu Hustle" which was hilarious!!
    The last I saw on DVD was 'City of Gods'. I loved that film! I need to own it.
  • View author's info Posted on May 13, 2005 at 12:57 PM

Foreign:
    I've seen "Eight Women", and most recently, "Dear Frankie". There is another one I saw, but forgot the title..I think it's "The truth about being Earnest"

Indie: Recent

Lost in Translation

The Assasination of Richard Nixon

The Woodsman
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 29, 2005 at 05:42 AM

Fatima21...thanks for the reply. I've never watch any films from Singapore, but "Homerun" sounds interesting. I'll have to look for it here...thanks for sharing.
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 27, 2005 at 06:04 PM

i watched a few days ago a very touching singaporean movie entitled "homerun"..very humorous..another also is "i not idiot" from the same country..it shows how english is being perceived as the superior language in singapore..really nice..